Common Abbreviations - منتديات الجلفة لكل الجزائريين و العرب

العودة   منتديات الجلفة لكل الجزائريين و العرب > English Forum > English Learning

English Learning Ask questions about English grammar, vocabulary, usage and idioms..

في حال وجود أي مواضيع أو ردود مُخالفة من قبل الأعضاء، يُرجى الإبلاغ عنها فورًا باستخدام أيقونة تقرير عن مشاركة سيئة ( تقرير عن مشاركة سيئة )، و الموجودة أسفل كل مشاركة .

آخر المواضيع

Common Abbreviations

إضافة رد

أدوات الموضوع انواع عرض الموضوع
قديم 2012-07-26, 23:45   رقم المشاركة : 1
معلومات العضو
Karim_Rap_4_life
محظور

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي Common Abbreviations

Hello Brothers and sisters I came with this topic which is necessary and I would like to represent it to you to gain some information. These are common abbreviations I was always came across during lectures and reading procedures. I gathered them one by one and I think these are the main major ones. Abbreviations are useful you find them in magazines, articles, newspapers, Novels, advertisements….etc. I made a long research to find them so I decided to gather them in one topic if you don’t mind I’ve another list about US states if you want to see them tell me to publish them. As well as a map of United Kingdom with the pronunciation of each state
Mr. Mister
Mrs. Mistress [missiz]
Dr. Doctor
Sr. Senior, Sister
Jr. junior
St. Saint
Capt. Captain
Prof. Professor
Pres. President
V.P. Vice President
M.D. “Medical Doctor” or “Doctor of medicine”
PhD ‘Doctor of Philosophy’ (a university degree of a very high level that is given to sb who has done research in a particular subject)

R.N. Registered Nurse (noun)
(in the US) a person who has a licence to work as a nurse in a particular state. To become registered, a person must first obtain a degree in nursing and then pass the official exam of the state they want to work in.

R.G.N Registered General Nurse (noun)
(in Britain) a nurse who is qualified to care for patients in hospitals, schools and elsewhere, after a training period of at least three years.

CEO Chief Executive Officer
(the person with the highest rank in a business company)

A.D. from LatinAnno Domini” used in the Christian calendar to show a particular number of years since the year when Christ was believed to have been born.
B.C. Before Christ
B.C.E. Before the Common Era (before the Common Era (= before the birth of Christ, when the Christian calendar starts counting years.

C.E. Common Era (= the period since the birth of Christ when the Christian calendar starts counting years)

St. street
Ave. avenue
Rd. road
Pl. Place
Ter. Terrace (often in the names of streets) a continuous row of similar houses that are joined together in one block:

Ct. Court
Hwy. highway
Apt. apartment
Blvd. boulevard
Fl. Floor
Rm. room
No. number
Ste. suite [sweet]
Dept.
department
Bldg.
building
U.
university
Ft.
fort
A.M.
from Latin “ante meridiem” between midnight and midday.
P.M.
from Latin “post meridiem” after 12 o’clock noon
yr
year
hr
hour
min
minute
sec
second
N
north
E
east
S
south
W
west
NE
northeast
NW
northwest
SE
southeast
SW
southwest
O.
ocean
L
. lake
R.
river
Mt.
mountain
U.N.
United Nations
U.S.
United States
U.S.A.
United States of America

رد مع اقتباس
إضافة رد

الكلمات الدلالية (Tags)
abbreviations, common

تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code is متاحة
كود [IMG] متاحة
كود HTML معطلة

الانتقال السريع

الساعة الآن 02:34

المشاركات المنشورة تعبر عن وجهة نظر صاحبها فقط، ولا تُعبّر بأي شكل من الأشكال عن وجهة نظر إدارة المنتدى
المنتدى غير مسؤول عن أي إتفاق تجاري بين الأعضاء... فعلى الجميع تحمّل المسؤولية

2006-2023 © www.djelfa.info جميع الحقوق محفوظة - الجلفة إنفو (خ. ب. س)