Essential English Idioms for ESL Students - منتديات الجلفة لكل الجزائريين و العرب

العودة   منتديات الجلفة لكل الجزائريين و العرب > English Forum > English Learning

English Learning Ask questions about English grammar, vocabulary, usage and idioms..

في حال وجود أي مواضيع أو ردود مُخالفة من قبل الأعضاء، يُرجى الإبلاغ عنها فورًا باستخدام أيقونة تقرير عن مشاركة سيئة ( تقرير عن مشاركة سيئة )، و الموجودة أسفل كل مشاركة .

آخر المواضيع

Essential English Idioms for ESL Students

إضافة رد

أدوات الموضوع انواع عرض الموضوع
قديم 2017-07-11, 14:40   رقم المشاركة : 1
معلومات العضو
saimoh76
بائع مسجل (ج)

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي Essential English Idioms for ESL Students

What Are English Idioms?

English idioms are a group of words which have a meaning which isn’t obvious from looking at the individual words.
They have developed over time and so they might seem random to you. English idioms often rely on analogies and ****phors.
Because they’re used so often in everyday English, if you don’t know them, it’s almost impossible to understand the context.

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2017-07-11, 14:42   رقم المشاركة : 2
معلومات العضو
saimoh76
بائع مسجل (ج)

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي

Why Learn English Idioms?

Does this sound familiar?
You took traditional classes.
You learned the grammar, the rules, and hundreds of exceptions.
You have a vocabulary that could rival an American student’s.
You even have a couple of certificates hanging proudly on your wall stating you are indeed proficient in English….
…so why is it you just can’t get it sometimes?
Well, what you learn from textbooks and what you learn from the real world are two totally different things when it comes to ******** learning.
What you really need is a stronger mastery of English idioms and expressions.

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2017-07-11, 14:42   رقم المشاركة : 3
معلومات العضو
saimoh76
بائع مسجل (ج)

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي

Learning common everyday English idioms will help you fit in with most situations whether it’s at a basketball game, over a beer, studying or going out on a hot date.
The key to understanding English idioms is never to look at them or read them in a literal sense – once you unlock the secrets of idiomatic English ******** then you’ll have cracked the code!
To help you master English idioms, we’ve gathered together 20 of the most common American English idioms and expressions. They’re useful for ESL students, or anyone learning English. Enjoy!

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2017-07-11, 14:42   رقم المشاركة : 4
معلومات العضو
saimoh76
بائع مسجل (ج)

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي

20 Essential English Idioms for Sounding Like a Native

So you’re in an American bar.
It’s loud, but you can make out what people are saying.
You hear a fellow drinker talking about hitting books…
…another is talking about twisting someone’s arm…
…and it sounds like someone’s been stabbed in the back.
What the heck is going on?
You scratch your head and wonder why you’re still lost even though you can translate the words.
Well, you’ve just had your first introduction to English idioms.

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2017-07-11, 14:43   رقم المشاركة : 5
معلومات العضو
saimoh76
بائع مسجل (ج)

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي

1. (To) Hit the books

Literally, hit the books means to physically hit, punch or slap your reading books. However, this is a common English idiom among students, especially American college students who have a lot of studying to do. It simply means “to study,” and is a way of telling your friends that you’re going to study. It could be for a final exam, a mid-term test or even an English exam.
“Sorry but I can’t watch the game with you tonight, I have to hit the books. I have a huge exam next week!”

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2017-07-11, 14:43   رقم المشاركة : 6
معلومات العضو
saimoh76
بائع مسجل (ج)

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي

2. (To) Hit the sack

Just like the first idiom, the literal meaning of this would be physically hitting or beating a sack (a large bag usually used for carrying things in bulk such as flour, rice or even soil). But actually to hit the sack means to go to bed, and you’d use this to tell your friends or family that you’re really tired, so you’re going to sleep. Instead of saying hit the sack you can also say hit the hay.
“It’s time for me to hit the sack, I’m so tired.”

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2017-07-11, 14:44   رقم المشاركة : 7
معلومات العضو
saimoh76
بائع مسجل (ج)

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي

3. (To) Twist someone’s arm

To twist someone’s arm literally means to take a person’s arm and turn it around, which could be really painful if you take it exactly word for word. If your arm has been twisted it means that someone has done a great job of convincing you to do something you might not have wanted to to do.
And if you manage to twist someone else’s arm it means that you’re great at convincing them, and they’ve finally agreed to do something after you’ve been begging them.

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2017-07-11, 14:44   رقم المشاركة : 8
معلومات العضو
saimoh76
بائع مسجل (ج)

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي

Tom: Jake you should really come to the party tonight!
Jake: You know I can’t, I have to hit the books (study).
Tom: C’mon, you have to come! It’s going to be so much fun and there are going to be lots of girls there. Please come?
Jake: Pretty girls? Oh all right, you’ve twisted my arm, I’ll come!

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2017-07-11, 14:45   رقم المشاركة : 9
معلومات العضو
saimoh76
بائع مسجل (ج)

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي

4. (To be) Up in the air

When we literally think about something up in the air, we have the idea that something’s floating or flying in the sky, perhaps an airplane or a balloon. But really if someone tells you that things are up in the air it means that these things are uncertain or unsure; definite plans have not been made yet.
“Jen have you set a date for the wedding yet?”
“Not exactly, things are still up in the air and we’re not sure if our families can make it on the day we wanted. Hopefully we’ll know soon and we’ll let you know as soon as possible.”

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2017-07-11, 14:45   رقم المشاركة : 10
معلومات العضو
saimoh76
بائع مسجل (ج)

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي

5. (To) Stab someone in the back

If we take this idiom literally we could find ourselves in a whole lot of trouble with the police, as it would mean taking a knife or another sharp object and putting into a person’s back.
However, as an idiom to stab someone in the back means to hurt someone who was close to us and trusted us by betraying them secretly and breaking their trust. We call the person who does this a back stabber.
“Did you hear that Sarah stabbed Kate in the back last week?”
“No! I thought they were best friends, what did she do?”
“She told their boss that Kate wasn’t interested in a promotion at work and Sarah got it instead.”
“Wow, that’s the ultimate betrayal! No wonder they’re not friends anymore.”

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2017-07-11, 14:45   رقم المشاركة : 11
معلومات العضو
saimoh76
بائع مسجل (ج)

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي

6. (To) Lose your touch

Literally this means to no longer have the ability to touch or feel with your fingers or hands. But to lose your touch actually means that you lose your ability or talent you once had when dealing with things, people or situations.
We use this when you’re usually good at a certain skill or talent, but then things start to go wrong.
“I don’t understand why none of the girls here want to speak to me.”
“It looks like you’ve lost your touch with the ladies.”
“Oh no, they used to love me, what happened?”

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2017-07-11, 14:46   رقم المشاركة : 12
معلومات العضو
saimoh76
بائع مسجل (ج)

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي

7. (To) Sit tight

To sit tight is a strange English idiom and it literally means that you sit down squeezing your body in a tight way, which if you did it would be very uncomfortable, not to mention you’ll look really strange.
But if a person tells you to sit tight they want you to wait patiently and take no action until you hear otherwise.
“Mrs. Carter, do you have any idea when the exam results are going to come out?”
“Who knows Johnny, sometimes they come out quickly but it could take some time. You’re just going to have to sit tight and wait.”

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2017-07-11, 14:53   رقم المشاركة : 13
معلومات العضو
saimoh76
بائع مسجل (ج)

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي

8. (To) Pitch in

This English idiom actually makes no sense if you try to take it literally. However, figuratively speaking it means to contribute (give) to something or someone or to join in.
So if your dad tells the family that he wants everyone to pitch in this weekend and help clear the backyard, it means he wants everyone to join in on the efforts to clear the yard and get things done quicker.
“What are you going to buy Sally for her birthday?”
“I don’t know I don’t have much money.”
“Maybe we can all pitch in and buy her something great.”
The above conversation suggests that every one of Sally’s friends should contribute a little bit of money so they can afford to buy her a bigger and better present together.

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2017-07-11, 14:53   رقم المشاركة : 14
معلومات العضو
saimoh76
بائع مسجل (ج)

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي

9. (To) Go cold turkey

Sound weird? Well, you’re right, it does, how can anyone literally go cold turkey? A person can’t transform into the bird we all love to eat for celebrations such as Christmas and Thanksgiving.
The origins of this English idiom are strange and to go cold turkey means to suddenly quit or stop addictive or dangerous behavior such as smoking or drinking alcohol.
This English idiom is said to have originated in the late 20th century and suggests that a person who suddenly quits something addictive—such as drugs or alcohol—suffers from side effects that look like a cold, un*****d turkey. This includes pale (very white) skin and goosebumps (little small bumps on the skin when we’re cold or sick).

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2017-07-11, 14:53   رقم المشاركة : 15
معلومات العضو
saimoh76
بائع مسجل (ج)

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي

“Shall I get your mom a glass of wine?”
“No, she’s stopped drinking?”
“Really, why?”
“I don’t know. A few months ago, she just announced one day she’s quitting drinking.”
“She just quit cold turkey?”
“Yes, just like that!”

رد مع اقتباس
إضافة رد

أدوات الموضوع
انواع عرض الموضوع

تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code is متاحة
كود [IMG] متاحة
كود HTML معطلة

الانتقال السريع

الساعة الآن 08:49

المشاركات المنشورة تعبر عن وجهة نظر صاحبها فقط، ولا تُعبّر بأي شكل من الأشكال عن وجهة نظر إدارة المنتدى
المنتدى غير مسؤول عن أي إتفاق تجاري بين الأعضاء... فعلى الجميع تحمّل المسؤولية

2006-2023 © www.djelfa.info جميع الحقوق محفوظة - الجلفة إنفو (خ. ب. س)